Looking for guidance

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

specialk
antispam: No

Looking for guidance

Post by specialk »

Hello all,

I am looking at/testing out a larger kayak this weekend, eager to get some ocean paddle under my belt and wanted to get
your input, comments, guidance. When checking out this kayak is there anything specific I should look for.....

Old Town- model name is Nantucket. 14'-9" long, 26" wide, 13" deep, 17"x35" cockpit size, 55lbs.,

Thank You,

Donna
kayakerjnj

Re: Looking for guidance

Post by kayakerjnj »

HI Donna,

I've owned a Nantucket, it was my first boat I purchased in 2001. It's a good flatwater boat, but not a very agile or easy to outfit boat.

Look for a boat that fits you well, is comfortable and one that has bulkheads, I'd suggest starting to try some boats, Wilderness Systems makes some of the most versatile and comfortable stock outfitting. It might be a good place to start.

Good Luck
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
specialk
antispam: No

Post by specialk »

Thank you Jordan, I really appreciate everyone here with all the help, as little as
I've participated I've learned a lot by reading all the post's. I've also been in the
"Past Trips" folder looking around.
I didn't look at that kayak afterall. I really do want something bigger, I figure if I
like it this much I might as well go all the way with the next one.
I have something else in the works though!

Donna
Linda

Post by Linda »

I suggest... TRY, TRY, TRY... EVERY KAYAK YOU CAN for comfort, proper size/fit and in different conditions to be sure it will 'handle' as you want it to.
You can 'test drive' at Charles River Boathouse... they are Great in helping you narrow down the right boat for your size + needs.
Also, don't hesitate to ask others to try their boats/equipment whenever you can!!! Both Charles River Boathouse and Billington's Sea offer 'protected' areas... not realistic to 'sea kayaking'. Be assertive with requests... you're the one with the upper hand (and cash in it).
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Lance

Post by Lance »

This may or not still be true, but it's worth checking out. A few years ago if you enroledl in one of their short series of relatively inexpensive lessons (all levels of expertise accomodated), Charles River Canoe and Kayak in Newton, MA lets use any of their kayaks for nothing, and for any length of time, during the period of your lessons . They have an extensive array of makes and models, and many of the employees on premises can give you very good guidance on the kayaks' features. It's a great way to get a feel for what kind of kayak fits you best, although you'll be testing them out on flatwater. It's how my wife and I settled on our Wilderness Systems boats. And if you can wait until the end of the year and you don't mind buying used, you can get a great deal on a used kayak that you've already "test driven."

Good luck!

(And yes, Jordan, I still owe you a call - sorry for the delay).