Current Designs Kayak Question

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Griffd
antispam: No

Current Designs Kayak Question

Post by Griffd »

I noticed in one of the "Trip Reports" that Skip was paddling a Current Designs Kayak. Skip - if you happen to see this post, could you please tell me which model that is. I am new to kayaking and starting to research various kayaks. Last fall, I purchased an 18' AIRE inflatable tandem that my wife and I use. Thanks .... Dave
Skip

Re: Current Designs Kayak Question

Post by Skip »

My kayak is a Solstice GT - High volume. It is fiberglass and just about 18' long. I think the style or shape may have changed slightly on the newer models since mine is probably about 10 years old now. Some of the other "turkeys" also have Current Design kayaks of different styles.
Current Designs Solstice GT HV
Old Town Nantucket
bevbarnard

Post by bevbarnard »

Hi Dave,

I have a Current Designs Extreme HV (HV stands for high volume - slightly higher foredeck for people with larger feet etc). The Extreme is basically a narrower version of the Solstice. It is also 18 feet or so and quite fast. It is a great ocean boat and quite stable - I came back from the Isle of Shoals last year in quite rough conditions last fall (6 foot swell with the odd breaking waves).

I bought my boat used but in great shape and it is very well put together - no issues at all and the boat is about 10 years old. Quality is excellent. I use the boat for cruising and fun paddles. I race an Epic 18X - fast light (39 lbs) boat but tippy as it is narrow.

The Extreme is a great boat.

Bev.
Bev Barnard
Cell: 617 460 5210
Epic 18x
Current Designs Extreme HV
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

Hi Dave, I have a Current Designs Caribou. It is Kevlar and 17'10" long. Weighs in at about 44#. Special ordered it back in 2005. Quality of workmanship is good to excellent. Of all that kayaks I've had, this is my favorite. Moderate primary stability, but rock solid secondary. "Rides on Rails" (no rocker) so it has to be edged to make tight turns. Rolls fairly easily, but with the straight shear requires a little extra kick. High aft deck does not permit layback rolls. The new Caribou has been shortened and the edges have been rounded a bit. Exceptionally fast boat.