Pool Sessions

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

JohnnySmooth
antispam: No

Pool Sessions

Post by JohnnySmooth »

Being a relatively new member to this esteemed grp, not in the know about many things including what appears to be an annual winter occurrence, pool sessions in Randolph.

Any details that others could provide, eg, when, specifically where, cost etc is most appreciated.

Cheers,
John
'94 vintage P&H Ice Floe
'13 Tiderace Xcite
norm

Re: Pool Sessions

Post by norm »

John,

The pool sessions in Randolph are arranged by our friend Archie who has a Meetup group. To see the pool sessions, you need to join his group and then you'll get regular email messages about their dates, time, cost. But, rather than just forward you over there, I'll tell you that the sessions have been at somewhat varied times on Sunday afternoons, usually 2:00pm. The turnout has been about 7 to 10 paddlers each time. The sessions are 2 hours if there is enough attendance and shorter if fewer people sign up. The cost is higher this year at $30 per session and payment is made to Archie through PayPal on the Meetup page. You are allowed to use your sea kayak (some pools only allow WW boats). There was a problem with the pool water heater, but that is resolved and everyone spent a full 2 hours in the water at the last session. The next session is this Sunday, February 16 at 2:00pm and then there is one on March 2 also at 2:00pm. There are only 3 people signed up right now for Feb 16 due to lots of the regulars having trip plans this weekend. I usually don't miss a session but I'll be on-call for work and may not be able to go this week unless things start running more smoothly before the weekend. Archies Meetup group is the New England Kayak Club and the URL to the next pool session page is: http://www.meetup.com/Cape-Cod-Sea-Kayak-Club/events/162308552/ That URL will bring you to a page that says you have to have a login - just set yourself up, no cost, and you'll get access to all the info.

The winter gatherings have just been an attempt to get together monthly on a Thursday evening like we do after our spring, summer, fall Thursday night PPR's (Post Paddling Refreshments) after paddling in Hingham Harbor or the pond in Hanson. Somebody proposes a restaurant and time and people chime in about attending. There is one gathering hosted at a person's house, Ron, and that gathering is going to be on March 8th. That would be a good time to meet most of the regulars. I think you met quite a few of us on a trip to the Weepeckets with Josko and one or two pond sessions in Hanson if I remember correctly.

Some of us have been attending a lecture series about kayak camping at the Mass Audobon in Marshfield and getting together for dinner before-hand. There are 2 more lectures in that 5 part series - one this Thursday on navigation and the last one on Saturday will be about camp cooking. I'll probably be posting something on this bulletin board about the Thursday session tonight...

Hope that helps,
Norm
JohnnySmooth
antispam: No

Re: Pool Sessions

Post by JohnnySmooth »

Hey Norm,
Thanks for all the information and then some. My schedule this winter has been pretty sketchy to say the least but slowly coming up for air and definitely would like to partake in some of the pool sessions when I'm in town. Did meet Archie first time out at Hanson and spent quite a bit of time with him teaching me some of the basics for rolling.

Doubt I can make Audubon mtgs - work has me full-bore right now.

Cheers,
John
'94 vintage P&H Ice Floe
'13 Tiderace Xcite