Thursday Skills May 19th Kick off

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

kayakerjnj

Thursday Skills May 19th Kick off

Post by kayakerjnj »

It’s that time of year again when we will start our Club’s Skills Sessions

Our first Thursday is scheduled for May 19th depending. (We alternate Thursdays in Hanson, to avoid low tides in Hingham)

We host these free sessions for all who wish to participate, Club Members and those who just wish to get involved.
We have been conducting these sessions for many years now. Everyone is encouraged to take advantage of them.
The more proficient your skills are, the safer and more enjoyable your days on the water will be.

These sessions begin as early as 4 PM, and can last until sunset or until the group succumbs to the need to PPR :D (post paddle refreshment)

Here is our location we utilize in Hanson https://goo.gl/maps/3VUQ1

Our Skills Sessions are an informal and low key opportunity for all to practice in a well-supported environment of fellow paddlers – instructors.

We emphasize acquiring your safety essentials first, wet exit, self and assisted rescues etc. If you’re looking for more excitement, you can work on more advanced paddling strokes and your roll too.

There are many regulars who have worked to acquire advanced paddling skills and they often assist other people achieve their own goals.

PFD’s are a must. Nose plugs, and scuba masks help keep the pond out of your sinuses. You’ll want them if you’re practicing skills that will immerse you in the water.

The winter we had has set our warm up back a bit so the first few weeks are likely to be cool, so please bring cold water attire so you can stay warm when you're in the water.

We’re hoping for a great paddling season ahead.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
pat
Site Admin

Re: Thursday Skills May 19th Kick off

Post by pat »

Looking at the tide charts, Thursdays appear to be right on the cusp. I don't see a big advantage either way. On one Thursday, low tide is about 1.5 hours before we start, the following, it's about 1.5 hours after we land. As the season progresses, there should be a slow shift and it'll become more obvious which Thursday should be spent doing what.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

It would be great if the expected schedule could be published.
KR
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

We alternate every other Thursday until the tide in Hingham shifts us a week somewhere into the season, to keep us out of dead low.

That's what we've done for the past 11 seasons :shock:

See you soon!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
JimKuplast

Post by JimKuplast »

Hi, I'm fairly new to kayaking, but have been canoeing for more than 50 yrs. The cold water attire at the pond poses a question for me. I have a shorty wet suit, is that proper attire for this time of year. Been looking forward to this for a couple of months now. I built a Chesapeake 17 over the winter and I'm anxious to get going.
Jim
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Hi Jim,

If I were you, I'd come. The training isn't far off shore, and we're all fairly close together. The pond is rather small and heats up quickly as the year progresses, so although it will probably be uncomfortably cold, it's unlikely that it'll be hazardously cold like the ocean is right now. Your wet suit will probably be good enough, but if it's not, it isn't like you're out in the ocean and will have to wait for a long time for a rescue. Just swim 20 feet and get out of the water.

Looking forward to seeing your creation!
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
cgr

Post by cgr »

In my experience the pond is always warmer than expected the first couple of sessions. I think shorty will be fine.

If not, ocean state job lot usually has a selection of wetsuits for $40 or less.

As a data point I was on the Farmington river in simsbury, ct last night weekend. A fugitive swam across the river to escape the long arm of the law. The week before I saw several playboaters wearing just their pfd.
JimKuplast

Post by JimKuplast »

I'll be there, thanks
Doug

Post by Doug »

Not intending to make light of a serious risk but, here is one expert's opinion on hypothermia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH29uzBvR1s I've tried this experiment a few times in the field (with pretty conservative perimeters) it is impressive how resilient humans can be if you don't panic. The power of pause before starting to react to any trauma has tremendous benefits.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
josko

Post by josko »

:D

Just to double-check: is it Hanson this week? (Thursday 5/19)