Pointers for recent transplant to Cape Cod?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

lindzey
antispam: No

Pointers for recent transplant to Cape Cod?

Post by lindzey »

Hi all!

I recently moved to Falmouth for work, and am interested in getting into sea kayaking.

Do y'all have any advice on where to start? Are the Wild Turkey Paddlers the closest club to me, or are there others out there with less of a Google presence? Unfortunately, I can only participate in events that are work-schedule friendly :-\

My background: I have only done tourist-level sea kayaking, but am very comfortable in boats -- I used to do a lot of whitewater kayaking (loved class IV, would run some 5.0 rapids) and I have a good roll. Or at least, I have a roll in whitewater boats =) I do own a few boats that are 12' long, but would eventually be willing to buy a proper sea kayak.

Cheers,

Laura
learn2turnn

Re: Pointers for recent transplant to Cape Cod?

Post by learn2turnn »

Sent a PM with some info.

-Ken
josko

Re: Pointers for recent transplant to Cape Cod?

Post by josko »

Hi Laura,
I'd suggest you check out the AMC Southern Mass. chapter kayaking trips on the Cape: https://activities.outdoors.org/search/
Search with 'paddling' for activity and ''Southeastern Mass.' for group/chapter. They run mellow trips in recreational boats. Your 12' boat should be fine, but check with the trip leader.
That said, you live in one of the best sea kayaking areas on the East Coast. Places like Nobska point, Woods Hole passage and Middle Ground shoal are very rewarding but also technically challenging. If you aspire to go in that direction, you will want a suitable boat and some instruction. RICKA is a good place to get some informal advice, and the closest instruction place I'd recommend is Osprey Sea Kayaking in Westport. If you are interested in technical aspects of sea kayaking and would like to get calibrated, contact me. I've sent a p.m. with contact info. I live in Woods Hole and may have a boat you could borrow for a paddle in Woods Hole harbor.