Old Quarry Campground Closed

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Johnysmoke

Old Quarry Campground Closed

Post by Johnysmoke »

Sad news to hear that Old Quarry is shutting down for good and the property is for sale. Had some great times and adventures up there, was really a great resource for the small boating community.

https://www.oldquarry.com/
norm

Re: Old Quarry Campground Closed

Post by norm »

I agree! Super sad news. I always wanted to do more trips up there but just did not get around to it. I can't imagine anyone would be willing to spend that kind of money and keep the place a campground the way Captain Bill did but we can always hope. Must be impossible to make a living with a campground up there with such a short season. Maybe somebody will buy it and make it a resort that allows kayaking. Then all us older kayakers can do day trips and get a great night's rest in a more comfortable hotel room rather than sleeping on the ground in a tent.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I also can't see anyone willing to spend that kind of money and keep it running in the current capacity. Would be great if it remained a campground of some sort, still allowed folks access to the launch, and a place to leave their cars. I always appreciated being able to take a shower before the long ride home as well.
Maybe one of those trendy campgrounds with the cabin tents, a hot tub or two, and lots of scenic spots for people to take selfies would work out well.
norm

Post by norm »

I wonder how negotiable the selling price is? I'm sure whatever it is, there won't be many people that can afford it.

I thought I'd take a look at the campground website one last time before it gets taken down (slow day at work). Looking through the photo gallery, I noticed a couple guys I recognized in picture 7 of 12. Picture must have been taken by Jerry Smith. It's Rick Hens and I with the Isle Au Haut lighthouse in the background on a very foggy day. It was the most epic day-trip of my paddling life so I had to go back and read my trip report about it.

Here's a link to the Old Quarry picture gallery if anyone is interested: https://www.oldquarry.com/gallery-item/photo-gallery/

And here's link to my epic day-trip trip report. Thankfully the link to Facebook still works. http://www.wtpaddlers.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3244&p=24031&hilit=stonington#p24031

I met Michael Daugherty on the boat ride out to Isle Au Haut. He was guiding two of the other kayakers that were shuttling out to the island with us. He has since written a book for the AMC titled: AMC's Best Sea Kayaking in New England". At that time, his wife was an artist with a gallery in Stonington. I wonder what they are doing these days? Would be nice if he could take over Old Quarry but again, the cost is probably prohibitive.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

That sounds like an epic paddle around Isle Su Haut. It's kind of eerie out on that exposed side even on a bright sunny day.

I remember getting one of the best kayak packing lessons ever on that boat "ramp." After packing every conceivable square inch of space in the kayaks, convincing ourselves nothing else can fit, Doug produces a dirty thirty from his Jeep, and suddenly many 12 oz spaces avail themselves. I remember the back of my Chatham being practically underwater on our paddle out to Hell's Half Acre.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I also remember several accidentally falling on the rough ramp and having to be drained for proper disposal.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I don't know the specifics, but apparently it's back open for camping for the season.
norm

Post by norm »

Wow, that would be great. Might be worth trying to get up there this year in case the plan is to sell after the season or something. Now we just need Maine to open up to Mass residents.