Another Kayak Shop Going Away - Newbury

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Another Kayak Shop Going Away - Newbury

Post by norm »

I was just looking at the Newbury Canoe and Kayak website and noticed that they are about to drop kayaks and switch to specializing more in canoes.

Here is the notice copied from their website:

New Direction

Dear friends,
It's time for a big change! We've decided canoes are the future and it is time to let kayaks go. Long term trends just don't favor the small specialty kayak shop, and the wild ride of the last couple of years have made this a good time to make the change.
So it is goodbye to Newbury Kayak and Canoe, hello to White Rose Canoe.
White Rose Canoe aims to be more than a canoe shop, it will be a resource for canoeists local and throughout New England. A big focus will be folks new to the sport and families with kids, though we'll certainly stock boats and gear for hard-core expedition types. We're really trying to promote the sport and help people discover or rediscover what a great activity canoeing is.

There's a reason canoes have been used for at least 10,000 years: canoes are awesome!

The official launch for WRC will be a “Canoe Day” event October 9. The schedule for the changeover looks like this: We will continue in our current form and under the current name through August. Then we'll close down for the month of September to switch over, and reopen in October as White Rose Canoe.

- One exception to our change, we will continue to sell Stellar kayaks and surfskis

We will make sure any kayaks or parts on order will reach their customer, whether before, during or after the switch. We'll still be the same people, so we'll be happy to answer your questions about kayaks you bought from us or issues you have. We can still help with talking to manufacturers and the like. During September, we will be available by phone and email, and by appointment, if needed to address these inquiries.

Thank you for being Newbury Kayak and Canoe customers; we hope you will continue as White Rose Canoe customers.

Michael and Keith
Al Daggett
antispam: No

Re: Another Kayak Shop Going Away - Newbury

Post by Al Daggett »

Hi:
I have been using George Crawford in Marshfield, Ma for repairs and 'spruce-ups' for older boats. George is a master. I just heard of another shop in Merrimack, Ma run by Connor Mulholland (978-971-6007) mullhollandsurfboards@gmail who is doing terrific work with kayaks and is highly recommended for repairs. Check him out at Mulhollanddesigns.com
There are fewer and fewer shops, period. I take my business to Osprey Sea Adventures in Westport, Ma.
Cheers!