whitewater

Beanboy

whitewater

Post by Beanboy »

So, I know the AMC runs a clinic for intro. to whitewater, but the two dates posted don't work for me.

Just looking to get some basics down for Class I/II stuff with the Manitou 13 now that I have a spray skirt (thanks Jim!).
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
cgr

Re: whitewater

Post by cgr »

There are 3 sessions scheduled for this year with Boston AMC. Zoar Outdoor has a demo weekend every year in June, with free demos Fri - Sunday. On that weekend they also have free 2 hr clinics - I'm sure that they will have intro to WW scheduled once or twice. Zoar also has 1 & 2 day classes most weekends.
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Cool, thanks Chris.
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
jkates

Post by jkates »

You can work out most of the basic's of edge control edying etc at the:
Cohasset Tidal Rip
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... il/id/683/

It's a very nice place to play and learn.
Boats: Nigel Foster Shadow Yellow over White | Pyranha Everest Blue and White | P&H Qwest HV Yellow over White
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Will definitely be checking the ol' wave out, thanks for the reminder. Years ago, went with a GF who was big into whitewater kayaking. Going to give a Class I/II race a try. Forward stroke, watch out for the rocks... :shock: :lol:
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
John

Post by John »

if you looking to race easy whitewater, try out the Blackston River Race. This is more quickwater, but with the number of bends and turns, you will find yourself reading the current reguarly. Race is sat, May 10. There are also a few great spots to work on peel outs, eddy hoping, ferring, etc.

http://www.thebrwa.org/Canoe_Race/canoerace_2010.shtml

I may be paddling a pre run the night before ..working out my new long boat in the narrow turns as well....send me an email if interested.

The charlemont river race should be a good one for the Manitou as well...class1-2, easy river reading. Check out NECKRA for dates.

John
Purple Valley Avocet, WS Project 62 , WestSide Boat Exceed, and many more to come.
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Yeah wanted to do the Blackstone, but already have plans to be on the water on the Charles near me that day.

Will be hitting the Charlemont Downriver Race though, noticed the Class I/II level and the photos from prior races, and definitely looks doable. Thanks!
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

So, anybody doing the Charlemont race tomorrow? Gonna feel very strange heading to a NECKRA race without the surfski on the roof! Anybody paddle the first 5-6 miles after Zoar Gap on the Deerfield? The only thing I saw online was that you should run down the middle of the river at the 8A bridge.
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
norm

Post by norm »

So, how did you do Brian? You were asking your race competition for tips when you passed me and my son. I think you were in about 5th place. Lora was on that stretch of the river doing a clinic and KayakWidow was at the Shunpike picnic area for a swim. Didn't see CGR today - he was probably above the gap.
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Norm, it was great! Should have shouted out Beanboy!

Couldn't find my charger for the waterproof camera, wanted to grab the run with video.

But it was fun, was following somebody most of the way, but after being down the run once, definitely could see hammering the race next year, and giving whitewater a try from here on out.

Thanks to all for the suggestions here...
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169