Charles River 4/18/09 Short Trip

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Charles River 4/18/09 Short Trip

Post by norm »

I guess I've been a little remiss in not reporting on a small trip that a few of us took on the Charles River last Saturday. (Not all WTP trips need to be out on the salt water in sea kayaks with full length dry suits.) The river water temp is about 10 degrees warmer than the sea water and the shoreline is a lot closer, so a little less cold water protection was needed.

Barb had expressed interest in paddling the Charles earlier in the year and Jordan I had new boats to try out, so we decided to get together as soon as Jordan got home from picking up his new boat. After a few phone calls Saturday morning, we devised a plan to leave a vehicle at the take-out and meet Barb at the put-in.

The trip I chose was only 3.5 miles, but Jordan and I were in whitewater kayaks so we weren't looking for a long flatwater trip, just wanted to get a feel for the new boats. Our put-in was at Bridge Street in Dover and our take-out was at South Natick Dam. To extend the trip a little longer, we first paddled upstream for a mile to a section called Rocky Narrows (not really rocky or narrow). It was interesting using a whitewater boat in moving water for the first time and heading upstream - the slightest turn and you "spin out". Barb was in her 17 foot sea kayak with her new Lazy-Boy recliner seat outfitting and homemade kitchen table-cloth half spray skirt. She even brought along the latest addition to the library - a book on the Charles River - very convenient when we wanted to know the history of a statue on the riverbank.

For wildlife sightings, we saw a beaver, great blue heron and many turtles. Sorry, no pictures, Barb left the dark room at home and Jordan and I had no space for cameras in our little 8' boats. The real estate scenery was impressive with some incredibly long lawns up through the clearings in the woods, leading up to massive mansions. The 3 of us must have made quite a sight too as we got some hoots and hollers from passing cars and waves from kids in their back yards.

I failed at planning for any post paddling refreshment since this was such a last minute arrangement. I'll have to do a better job next time.

I'm thinking of doing this trip again this coming weekend (in a longer boat) from further upstream to extend the distance to 13.4 miles, all downstream this time.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great to Paddle with Norm and Barb on Saturday!

Barb was in heaven as I was yelling from behind to "SLOW DOWN"! LOL

She kept count, just to savour the moment :lol:
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

And the company was sterling!

An 18-foot (ahem) sea kayak and two twirling ww boats on the Charles River....what a sight we must have been. We couldn't even hide in the flora (there wasn't much out yet).

I thought Jordan and Norm would go for the whitewater in the falls at the South Natick dam, but they said no way, not wiithout Chris
Barb
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

"Barb, slow down a little?"

"Barb, we're in 8' boats ... don't go so fast!'"

"Barb, I'm spinning!"

"Barb, I'm paddling as fast as I can, and my arms are getting really tired"

"Barb, can you tow me?"
Barb
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Wow, its like MEMOREX LOL
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

So how did you like your new boats?
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Love mine!

Now I just have to learn how to paddle it LOL

I'm bringing it Thursday to roll, roll, roll my boat :)
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

sorry that I will be out of town this Thursday. Would love to see you two in your ww boats. You will have no trouble rolling it.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I think this was Norm:

Mark

Post by Mark »

Jordan: Is this the new boat you got? Looks really comfortable. Plenty of rocker.

kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Holy Cow!

Just ad flames on the side of that and that could be it's twin!

LOL
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Mark wrote:I think this was Norm:

Haha, Mark, that actually looks like YOU going over the dam on the Quaboag. Sorry I didn't get a photo....
Chip

Post by Chip »

Mark wrote:Jordan: Is this the new boat you got? Looks really comfortable. Plenty of rocker.

I think you meant it has plenty of "Croc-er" :oops:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
norm

Post by norm »

Mark wrote:I think this was Norm:

That's about how far I've progressed in my rolling abilities. :(
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

cgr

Post by cgr »

kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Like to try that! :lol:
rnflamingo

swift water

Post by rnflamingo »

CGR,
where was that, that you guys were doing swift water?

Joyce
cgr

Post by cgr »

That is the upper section of the Winnipesauki river in F
ranklin,Nh. It's an easy class 2 river.

I stole the pics from here:
http://americanwhitewater.org/content/R ... l_id_3570_

Chris
cgr

Post by cgr »

pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

:D :D :D

That thing surfs pretty well. Add some thigh straps and you're set!

pallen
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
kayakstew

Charles River Statue

Post by kayakstew »

So...What is the history of a statue on the riverbank? I have been through that area once befoire. Was terribly interested at the time, then proceeded to completely forgot about looking it up, until reading your report.

thanks much!

~stu
norm

Post by norm »

I'll give it to you straight from the book I used as a reference to plan my trips on the Charles. The book is: "The Charles River, exploring nature and history on foot and by canoe" by Ron McAdow, Second Edition, which I bought at an REI store for $18.

It says on page 78: "Harvard professor Daniel Sargent purchased land on both sides of the Charles in 1921. He placed a statue on the right bank in 1929. It portrays the Virgin Mary overcoming evil, symbolized by the snake beneath her feet. The statue was carved in Indiana limestone by John H. Benson. The words "Apperverunt in terra nostra flores" ("The flowers shall appear on our earth") are inscribed in the pedestal. Sargent planted rhododendrons along the right river bank, upstream of the footbridge at mile 37.3. These bloom at different times in different colors, so visitors find them in flower throughout the late spring and early summer. Sargent built a footbridge on the foundations of the dam that Thomas Sawin was compelled to remove in 1723.

I would recommend the book if you enjoy history and/or info about the the Charles River and how the communities along it developed.