Weymouth's Back River: Sunday May 3rd 2009: Easy Paddle

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

kayakstew

Weymouth's Back River: Sunday May 3rd 2009: Easy Paddle

Post by kayakstew »

Just wanted to toss a bare bones trip report out there from this sunday afternoon:

Arrived at Abigail Adams park under a bit of light rain, more of a misting really. About 2:40pm sunday afternoon. Sure the forcast was for rain, but with a 40% chain of rain I was willing to take my chances. Plus, I wasnt able to get out on the beautiful saturday weather and was really aching to get on the water. Unloaded the kayaks and got the gear setup in 15 minutes or so. suited up in some rain gear and launched to a low put incoming tide.

Lightly raining under the 3A bridge, but nothing to disrupted the yak. South wind blowing right in our faces but not too difficult to paddle into and the hope is it'll make the return trip that much easier. One dad fishing with his daughter seemed to real in what looked to me to be a skate. Typical walkers and bikers in the parks on either side. rain started picking up so after photographing the north most Opsrey nest and adult opsrey's circling the nest, we stopped on the small island there to have a bite to eat under the "leafiest" evergreen we could find.

Hopping back in the 'yaks, I was thinking about calling it an afternoon, but after an arm mild twist and light ribbing we continue to paddle south down past the old electric station and another Osprey nest. I was surprise to note another Osprey pairing at that nest. The rain was letting up a bit and I needed the workout so we pressed on to the East Weymouth commuter rail stop, under an old walking bridge and through the following arches. the river becomes but tighter there and it was interesting to see the difference in water color, much more like fresh water than salt. Eventually we ended up at a herring run in what I believe was Jackson Square.

Okay time to get moving, since it's getting a little late, but I am curious how much of the tide has come in. A bit worried about the first walk bridge we went under. Back through the tunnels and as we approach the bridge I am releaved that we were not arriving any later or else we might be lifting the kayaks OVER the bridge. we sneak under with a lean of the head.

As we get back to the more open part of the river, we are tiring a bit and we wonder where that South wind as gone to? Seems to have left us to battle the rest of the incoming tide with our own muscle. Can't say I am overly excited about that, particularly being early in the season and I'm not in "paddling shape" (if there is such a thing). Scoot back up the river past great esker park and bear cove, then under the 3A bridge., round the yacht club and race each other back to the launch site. The postive; tides coming quite a bit and we dont have to lugg the kayak too far!

All in all a fun, easy, adventure!

<<Summary>>
Distance: 5 mls (approx)
Time: 3:00 - 7:00 (4hrs approx)
Weather: Light rain, 60degrees, clouds, S wind 5-10mph (at least to start)
Water: cold, clear
Nature/Critters:
>>not much signs of marine life,
>>plenty of Osprey, Gulls, Egrets, Geese, Ducks,
>>a red tailed hawk,
>>the usual suspects...
Route: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2788553 <http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2788553>

cheers all!
~steve
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great report Steve!

Thanks for sharing,

Jordan
Chip

Post by Chip »

Nice trip. How many people were with you?
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

There were just two of us (including me). Myself and one friend, Tom. He is new to paddling and used my older/prior yak.

cheers
~steve

FYI: now I am noticing a bunch of spelling and grammatical mistakes in my post above. ah well. I was in a bit of a rush and wanted to get it out there asap. maybe nexttime I will type in word so I can spell-check more effectively.
Chip

Post by Chip »

No worries. We grade on a scale. :wink:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire