York River, York ME

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

ghisten

York River, York ME

Post by ghisten »

My wife and I purchased a couple of used Dagger Bayous this past winter and are just getting into the sport. We had a nice short trip Sunday on the 4th on the York river in York ME with my wife's family and I thought I would write up a quick trip report to meet some of the members of the group and introduce myself.

We left at about 3:30 PM two hours before the high tide at 5:30 so that we could paddle with the current in and return with the tide. We put in at Scotland Bridge where there is a concrete and dirt boat ramp. During high tide a fair number of locals jump off the bridge and swim in the area. Parking can be tight and is restricted to the side of the road, but I have never had a problem. Below is a map of the surrounding area.

York River Map.jpg
York River Map.jpg (142.9 KiB) Viewed 5140 times

There is an additional put in further down river off of route 1 where there are some parking spaces along the road this put in requires a longer portage down to the water, but also offers a longer trip.

After we put in we passed under Scotland Bridge and moved upriver. We took our time around the first couple of bends and took the first right turn. Afer a short stop for a nice swim, we continued a little further upriver. The tide hadn't yet turned when we began our return trip, but we were far enough upriver that the current didn't pose a challenge. A few additional paddlers passed us on the river as well as a couple motor boats, but we mostly had the the entire river to ourselves. The only problem were the horse flies, which were bothersome when you were sitting still, but mostly left us alone when we were moving. The river was beautiful with only a couple houses and docks in the first turn or two. We returned to the put in at about 6:30 and had to shuffle boats around as several other paddlers were coming out at the same time.

Thanks everyone!

Scotland Bridge
Scotland Bridge
river4.jpg (220.39 KiB) Viewed 5140 times

river2.jpg
river2.jpg (137.89 KiB) Viewed 5140 times

river3.jpg
river3.jpg (138.62 KiB) Viewed 5140 times

Total trip time: 3 hours
Total distance: 2-3 miles
norm

Re: York River, York ME

Post by norm »

Welcome to the group and thanks for sharing your trip details and pictures. I've always yearned to try all those nice tidal rivers in Maine as I cross them driving up I95.
kayakerjnj

Re: York River, York ME

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome to the WTPaddlers.

Thanks for posting, great pictures.

Hope you'll join us on the water soon.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan