Mattapoisett River Run?

Moderator: Chip

pe4927

Mattapoisett River Run?

Post by pe4927 »

I'd like to setup a Mattapoisett River run sometime. it's a great ride through the woods and marshes and such in Rochester and Mattapoisett and lets out into Buzzards Bay.

It has a few portages that aren't too bad and the water level makes a huge difference but this is always a great trip.
anyone interested in going I will try to coordinate a day and time?

Trip would be approx 9.5 miles of mostly flat shallow water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattapoisett_River

Would any and all interested parties please let me know?
Marc
craigmsherman

Re: Mattapoisett River Run?

Post by craigmsherman »

I might be interested in this. Let me know when you're going. Regarding water level - how shallow does this river get, exactly? Is the river affected by the tides the whole way up?

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
pe4927

Post by pe4927 »

It's freshwater fed and outlets into buzzards bay. Tide has almost no bearing on the water level it's all about how wet it's been and what the situation is with the dams that it feeds from as well.
ghisten

Post by ghisten »

Sounds like fun. I would be interested in trying it out.

Gavin
pe4927

Post by pe4927 »

Hey all, as I've mentioned the Mattapoisett River can be insanely shallow and I was thinking about taking a trip down and seeing how it is... anyone want to come along before I setup a regular trip for more people from here? nice to have a partner to try down and see how wet/dry it might be. I'm told this could be a particularly dry year since some kid pulled the dam boards (they weren't locked BEFORE this) and let most of the water down early in the season... ?
Might be fun.... might be a mud bath. ;) but it would be nice to see how it is and then maybe setup a regular trip for us and more wild turkeys.
chirl31

Post by chirl31 »

Any luck with your river recon?
I could help, but not until thursday August 12th.
I'm also doing research on a possible Agawam river trip.
pe4927

Post by pe4927 »

I did not get to check it out as planned. had a few things go on and I've been working on some yard work and tree removal, went out and bought a good chain saw so I could get some stuff done. Thank the heavens for good pain pills. I have a bad back and an old neck injury and this stuff kicks the crap out of me.

I'd like to go soon. The 12th may be good. hit me up on my phone and we can work it out.
Marc
508-837-5821
This is my cell, service kind of sucks where I live so please don't block number so I can call back from house phone if it's an issue with signal.

P.S. If anyone needs trees removed and such... have saw and willing to work... ;)
chirl31

Post by chirl31 »

Marc,
Something came up for thursday and I'm working the rest of this week. Maybe, one day next week?

Chris
RufRiders
antispam: No

Post by RufRiders »

Hi,

We just joined this site and are newbies to kayaking. We have gone out a few times on the Weweantic and ride tandem. We live in Marion and would like to meet others and join you on this paddle. Please post if you are planning on scheduling this.

Thanks~
Lee-Ann & Greg
specialk
antispam: No

Post by specialk »

I would be interested in this trip. Let me know the details and I'll see if it fits into my schedule.

Thank You,
Donna
Chip

Post by Chip »

This thread was from 2010.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
crazy295

Post by crazy295 »

4 of us did this trip last year... a few of us are going back on Sunday to do it again! Was a fun trip... the river does a lot of switch backs so it does take a while.. portages wernt too bad. and there was a little white water in places that made it fun! We actually went for a swim after one of them! :paddler: