sunday afternoon? 6/1

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

cgr

sunday afternoon? 6/1

Post by cgr »

Anyone want to paddle this afternoon?

I'm thinking of heading to Hough's neck or Squantum; and launching around 3.

Open to other suggestions as well.

My cell is 617 592 8661
chpaton

A missed opportunity

Post by chpaton »

Sorry I missed your post, but I only had a brief window on Sunday to paddle before BBQ duty.

I launched just after 12 noon from the Merrymount Association Beach and paddled along Wollaston Beach to Squantum and back - a quick 4.5 mile paddle.

Going up to Squantum was a real slog into the wind (15 - 25 mph), the run back was a breeze :)

Total time on the water was only an hour, but it was a good workout.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Dave

Sunday

Post by Dave »

Hey Craig,
Were you in the Shearwater? I thought I saw you out there while I was out on a walk. Beautiful day for it, yesterday. There were a lot of yaks out on Quincy Bay. I was up and down the beach four times running over to the Goodwill emptying out the attic, it looked like a lot more fun out there!
chpaton

Quincy Bay

Post by chpaton »

Dave:

Yep, I was in (on?) the Shearwater. Wanted to see if my off season repair worked (it did).

Didn't have as much time on the water as I would have liked, but family obligations come first.

The bay was pretty flat, despite the breeze - mostly wind wavelets, but I could feel the beginnings of some small swells as I was nearing the end of my paddle. I'm sure the West Gut was interesting with the tide flowing against the wind but I didn't get that far up Hough's Neck to check it out.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
cgr

Re: Quincy Bay

Post by cgr »

chpaton wrote:The bay was pretty flat, despite the breeze - mostly wind wavelets, but I could feel the beginnings of some small swells as I was nearing the end of my paddle. I'm sure the West Gut was interesting with the tide flowing against the wind but I didn't get that far up Hough's Neck to check it out.

I ended up launching from Hingham after waiting for the tide to cover the mud.

I paddled to the sw corner of Grape. The sandbar had shallow water with 1 - 2 foot waves breaking on it. The wake from the commuter boat was hitting the bar about 90 degrees so it was fun to paddle thru and get hit by both sides. A couple of times they waves would meet and stack up under the boat.

The swells were running directly towards Crow point so I was able to ride them to the end of Slate; and then I paddled back upwind 2 more times to ride them again. Easiest surfing that I've ever done, just paddle to get on and they were going straight downwind.

Water was warm(radio said that Fall River & Providence has water temps of 63)