Foiliage Trip Ideas

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

kayakerjnj

Foiliage Trip Ideas

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi All,

Norm brought up a good idea about doing some foiliage trips.

I know the Taunton River can be a very colorful location, as well as many spots along the Charles and Concord rivers.

Always wanted to do the Charles towards the Dover / Sherborn areas.

Ideas?

Next 2-3 weeks are prime time!

Jordan
AllieGal3

Great ideas!

Post by AllieGal3 »

Oh, I'd be up for the Taunton River! I heard it's beautiful and I haven't been yet!
~Allison
Yellow Old Town Loon 120
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

The route from the Summer Street Bridge in Bridgewater to Deans Plaza on 44 in Raynham is a really nice 12 mile stretch.

I've seen deer along the banks during past fall trips.

Very cool!
AllieGal3

Oh boy!

Post by AllieGal3 »

Yes I've driven by part of it. My mother's taken a canoe trip with Canoeing Outfitters and she said it's great but you have to be careful b/c parts can be dangerous. I'd love to do it if people are interested. Do you think my weak beginner arms could do 12 miles? lol
~Allison
Yellow Old Town Loon 120
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Canoe Passage Outfitters (Ray & Roy)

Is where I too, first did this route.

There's usually a gentle current as it flows towards the ocean, and so this far up river, so basically you are always aided by the flow.

There's only one spot where there are riffles near the old factories, it's actually quite cool, and nothing that is hazardous.

Given the high water levels it's optimal right now.
AllieGal3

Oh Boy!

Post by AllieGal3 »

Ok well let's go! :)
~Allison
Yellow Old Town Loon 120
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I've done 2 Concord River trips and missed the foliage both times. Personally I have no desire to do that particular trip again (not that anybody really cares :) )

I would be interested in another foliage trip if in fact it is near peak foliage in the area we are paddling.

My .02
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
KEN H.(KAYAK KEN)

Post by KEN H.(KAYAK KEN) »

The Charles River in the Welsley/Sherborn area is really nice. There are also some great lunch/ view spots along the way. Rocky Narrows is one of my fall favorites!
nchill

Rocky Narrows and other ideas

Post by nchill »

Rocky Narrows is one of the nicest spots on the Charles River. Here is a link to a site that describes launch sites including Medfield and Sherborn. Rocky Narrows is between the two.

http://www.onthecharles.com/launchsites.html

Another nice foliage spot is Walden Pond, not very big, but, very pretty. When you get sick of paddling you can walk around the pond.

One more - Tully Lake in Royalston, MA, a bit of a hike, but nice foliage on the drive out route 2. You can either paddle the big lake, by putting in at the dam, or put in on the river at the opposite end and paddle up the river to a smaller pond (my favorite). Unfortunately, one used to be able to go from one to the other, but a beaver dam is now blocking the way, and with low water in the fall, it's probably not passable.

-Nancy
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Thanks for the Charles River Launch website!
rnflamingo

Post by rnflamingo »

Jordan,
I have done the Medfield to South Natick trip many times. You launch right off of Rte 27 in Medfield, just before 27 goes up the hill to the Dover/Sherborn area. Nice launch.... parking for about 8-10 cars. You can back paddle to a nice pond in Medfield, then go with the current down to S. Natick..... you could park a couple of cars there to shuttle back to the launch and get the rest of the cars. The ride from the launch to the pick-up site is only about 15 minutes, if that. The trip takes about 2 hrs. at a steady pace, but can be stretched out. I'd be in.
Joyce
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Joyce,

Another great trip idea!

Please feel free to post a trip and anchor the organizer position!

There seems to be lots of interest for some low key paddles focussed on checking out the colors this year.

Cheers,

Jordan
rnflamingo

Post by rnflamingo »

Hi Jordan,
My daughter and I are actually doing that trip today, around 1 pm. We're going to leave the boats at the launch site, drive to the end, and take a cab back to the boats....... hope nobody stills them, lol. Anyone's welcome to join, though I know it's short notice.

Joyce
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Joyce,

It should be a great day to do this!

Have a blast!

Jordan