Taunton River Sat 10-11-08

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

kayakerjnj

Taunton River Sat 10-11-08

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi all,

First Foliage Trip - Shuttle Mission

The route:

http://www.canoepassage.com/trips/taunton_river_map.htm

Arrive at the put in, @ the Summer Street Bridge in Bridgewater, by 9:30 AM

Since this is a shuttle trip please RSVP with your vehicle's ability to carry how many boats.

This will be a leisurely trip (yes I said leisurely, and no I'm not on medication :shock: )

The water will be cooling off so be prepared to dress for the water temp not the air, and bring all the usual requisite safety gear.

Keep your fingers crossed for continued good weather!

Cheers,

Jordan
Last edited by kayakerjnj on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda

Post by Linda »

I was on the Taunton River last week between the Weir Village and Dighton Rock and the folliage was turning nicely then. Hope you have a 'Lovely Folliage' trip... unfortunately I have an injury that will probably put me out of paddling for the rest of the season (and it wasn't even directly related to paddling!!!).
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

What the heck Linda!?

I hope you recover quickly from it!

Jordan
cgr

Post by cgr »

I'm up for paddling. I can shuttle one other boat.
AllieGal3

Post by AllieGal3 »

Leisurely.... a lovely word for a beginner to hear! :)

This might be a stupid question, but, do most kayakers use skirts? Is that the best way to stay dry? I splash myself sometimes and am trying to figure out the best things to wear, as far as reg. clothes go. I was unsuccessful in finding gear when I went to Maine. :(
~Allison
Yellow Old Town Loon 120
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Spray skirts are a very good thing.

They keep you a lot drier, and lot warmer in cooler temps.
cgr

Post by cgr »

A skirt does help from getting splashed while paddling. It will also keep water out from waves or if you happen to flip. There are a couple of types of skirts with advantages and disadvantages to each.

Do you ski/hike/run? If so you might have things that work. The number one rule is not to wear cotton. Fleece, wool, polypro or something similar is great for warmth even if it's wet. And if you have some kind of waterproof shell you can use that as an outer layer.
AllieGal3

Post by AllieGal3 »

How do I pick out a skirt? It depends on the width of the cockpit right? Any suggestions for brands/stores? I looked up in North Conway this past weekend and was unsuccessful. I might just try to order one online if I have to. EMS and LLBean didn't have them.

Thanks for the help, as always!
~Allison
Yellow Old Town Loon 120
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Go to EMS, or REI. They might still have inventory.

I think your Loon 120 post 2005 is a 5.0 size.

Most manufacturers will have an on-line look up for your boat, to check size.

Once you're sure of the size you can check out places like sierra tradingpost, campmor.

That Loon has a very large cock pit, so the skirt will look more like something that COLEMAN makes LOL
cgr

Post by cgr »

it depends on the length & width of the cockpit, and also your waist/torso.

most skirt manufacturers have a website that will let you plug in your boat model:

http://www.sealsskirts.com/sizing/sizing.php
http://snapdragondesign.com/fit-lists/

Places like LL Bean & EMS might have put their paddling off the floor for the season.

Charles River Kayak in Newton is an excellent place to see a wide variety of gear.
http://paddleboston.com/paddle_shop/acc ... p#closeout
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Berwick Marine on route 106 in West Bridgewater.

They're an Old Town Dealer :D
kayakerjnj

Shuttle Route

Post by kayakerjnj »

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=3000+Summer+St,+Bridgewater,+MA+02324&geocode=&dirflg=&daddr=deans+plaza+raynham+ma&f=d&hl=en&sll=41.941233,-70.963955&sspn=0.093212,0.153809&ie=UTF8&ll=41.940978,-70.96447&spn=0.04689,0.13071&output=embed&s=AARTsJqn5xOd47BhgRfYar7SG-GoDY7L2g"></iframe><br /><small

here's the route link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=3000+Summer+St,+Bridgewater,+MA+02324&geocode=&dirflg=&daddr=deans+plaza+raynham+ma&f=d&hl=en&sll=41.941233,-70.963955&sspn=0.093212,0.153809&ie=UTF8&ll=41.925143,-71.003094&spn=0.093235,0.153809&z=13
Chip

Post by Chip »

kayakerjnj wrote:Go to EMS, or REI. They might still have inventory.

I think your Loon 120 post 2005 is a 5.0 size.

Most manufacturers will have an on-line look up for your boat, to check size.

Once you're sure of the size you can check out places like sierra tradingpost, campmor.

That Loon has a very large cock pit, so the skirt will look more like something that COLEMAN makes LOL

As of Sunday, REI had some skirts and covers still on the floor. Not a ton but you may get lucky. They have Seals skirts and there is a fit guide on the tag. You may also look into a half skirt for a cockpit that big. It covers your legs but stops just before it hits your waist. I use one for my Loon 138.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
AllieGal3

Post by AllieGal3 »

Oh I like the idea of a 1/2 skirt! Thanks for the info guys! :)

I'll let you know what I find. My kayak is a new model, just purchased it a few weeks ago. A lot of them that I had found were PRE 2006 so I figured they wouldn't work for me.
~Allison
Yellow Old Town Loon 120
nchill

Local Sprayskirt Co

Post by nchill »

You can have an akuilisaq (spray skirt) made for you at www.bughead.net

Just another idea and it's a local company

-Nancy
Linda

Post by Linda »

WOW!!! All great advise/info... but if you use a skirt, be sure you practice getting it off! A MUST if you flip. Others can help you flip your boat back over, empty it of water and help you re-enter but getting you out of the cockpit is a much more difficult task. So be sure you can get out on your own!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
norm

Post by norm »

AllieGal3 - another consideration when shopping for a skirt for a boat with a big cockpit is to try to get a skirt that has some support sticks built in, like battens on a sail, that keep the skirt lifted a little at the center so it will drain instead of puddling. I don't know if that's an option, but it would be something to look for. I used a skirt on my Perception Sparky 9.5 on the Pemi river this year when the water was running nice and high - it was nice to plunge right through waves like a whitewater junky without filling the boat. I was constantly lifting a knee to try to drain puddles off the skirt before the water seeped through the nylon. Neoprene skirts are more water-tight, but sometimes they are not available for a recreational boat. Neoprene is harder to attach and harder to get out of. I find that the nylon skirt for my rec boat comes off very easily - no worry about getting stuck - more worry about keeping it attached around the coaming with the cheap skirts that I have.

I was wishing I had used the skirt last Saturday on the Charles. My friend that planned the trip failed to mention there might be one or two sections of rapids. I got one good splash and had to sit on a wet seat for 6 miles of the 8 mile trip. He chickened out and portaged around the rapid when he saw how rough it was... I doubt there would be anything like that on the Taunton though, but it's nice to keep the paddle drippings out when the air temp is below 70.
norm

Post by norm »

I'm planning to make this trip if problems settle down on the job and I don't have to work on Saturday. I could shuttle one other boat on my roof and one or two short 10-12 foot boats inside my truck (with one passenger).
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great! It will be great to have you along Norm.

Any thoughts about meeting at the put in versus the take out? It might ultimately be easier for those who know the area?

Still pondering this one :?
AllieGal3

Post by AllieGal3 »

Doesn't matter to me. Just explain a little where to meet and I'll be there!
~Allison
Yellow Old Town Loon 120
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

cgr

Post by cgr »

Meeting at the put in is fine with me.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Let's plan on that :)

Is it Saturday yet?! :P
norm

Post by norm »

I'm planning on using my 15' boat, not the Millenium Falcon, since this is a "leisurely trip". Hopefully the water level is high enough that there won't be any scratchy spots, like under the Titicut St. bridge and near the factories...

Jordan - maybe you should use the plastic boat? Or are you looking to enjoy the solar heating in that dark Explorer?
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

The Tempest will be making a special guest appearence this Saturday for sure.

I'd recommend plastic versus composite for Saturday to anyone who has a choice.

In a river there's always hull contact, no matter how careful you are, and it might as well be on plastic :)
cgr

Post by cgr »

Skip - are you in on this? This trip was on your list last year!
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

More the merrier!

We need numbers to fend off the swans 2/3 rds of the way down the route LOL
Lisa

and I do love mercury. . .

Post by Lisa »

If anyone can't Saturday, let me know if you'd like to do Sunday or Monday instead? Or super early Saturday?

I have a conflict on Saturday early evening. . . of the obligatory nature. . .
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Aww, I have a 5K at 9AM along the banks of the Charles Saturday, won't be able to make it. Have fun folks!
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Lisa,

You can post another day that works for you, I'm sure there are others who'd like to do this trip, and the colors will only be enhanced over the next few weeks.

Catch you next time!
Skip

Post by Skip »

I'm going to try to make this one, I'm way behind on paddling trips this year. I will bring my trailer so I can haul up to 6 boats.

FYI --- South/Titticut street is an "ok" put in but not much parking. Oliver Mill Park on rt 44 near the KOA has lots of parking but would increase the length of the trip on that end.

A popular pull out is where the river goes under 44 on the Raynham town line. Parking is limited to the side of the road there. This spot is about 6 miles and has taken up to 3 hours with some groups I have been with who were exhausted at that point. (Rental boats, first timers etc.)

The next spot is South Street East/Old Colony, with some parking.

I know where Dean street is but don't know where the river access is?

After that the next spot is just past Canoe Passage outfitters in Weir park I think it's called. The distance from Rt 44 to that park is something like 10-12 miles.

Will check in tomorrow
Skip
Current Designs Solstice GT HV
Old Town Nantucket
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Good Morning Skip,

We were going to meet at the summer street bridge in Bridgewater.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Summer+St&daddr=02368&hl=en&geocode=FZgRgAIdhJfF-w%3B&mra=ls&sll=41.909048,-70.985584&sspn=0.089171,0.153809&ie=UTF8&ll=41.946628,-70.93842&spn=0.022279,0.038452&z=15
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Summer+St&daddr=02368&hl=en&geocode=FZgRgAIdhJfF-w%3B&mra=ls&sll=41.909048,-70.985584&sspn=0.089171,0.153809&ie=UTF8&s=AARTsJp_-adyfXuO-f2nGliqX9VrrERiEA&ll=41.947618,-70.936704&spn=0.011171,0.018239&z=15&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small

Now that a trailer might be available, the big question becomes:

Do we all meet at the put in, or meet at the take out at Deans Plaza?

If we can all fit in your van and I think we can, we could all leave from Deans, and take one vehicle to the put in on Summer Street.

Since Norm, Chris, and I can take two boats, one us can bring you back to the put in when we are done, as an option.

Thoughts?

Jordan
AllieGal3

Post by AllieGal3 »

I can probably fit a few with my SUV if needed.
~Allison
Yellow Old Town Loon 120
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Hey guys,

I would like to join you this weekend, but I am sans car (in the shop) and sans boat (still being outfitted) -- so I plan to just fly down and then walk on water! Just kidding...I will bring my 10' old town canoe...unless we are paddling UPSTREAM against current?

Jordan, pls advise.

I can get dropped off at put in (no vehicle to park) and may need a drop off in Raynham after (hubby may be free to pick up). Hope this doesn't mess up trip planning, They opened the gate on my cage and I'm getting outside!
Barb
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Barb,

C'mon down!

We are going with the current and the 12000 CFS release, only Class II or III in spots but Chris can provide consults in his WW Boat..

(JUST KIDDING!)

We are going with the current the whole way!

Should be fun!
norm

Post by norm »

Hey Barb,

I can give you and your canoe a ride to wherever you need to go after the paddle. It's always hard to coordinate a pick-up ride with a trip of undetermined time length. I think your canoe can fit inside my Suburban and hang out the back like I do with my 9.5 foot rec boats or if needed could be strapped on top.

Norm
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Thanks, guys.

Are you still planning to meet at Summer Street in Bridgewater?

I read Skip's navigational treatise but couldn't figure the final result.
Barb
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

I'm planning to drop off at the Put in at this point, and take my vehicle down.

If more than one person show's up at the put in, we can leave the gear and shuttle the vehicles down to Deans plaza, while one person watches the gear.
AllieGal3

Post by AllieGal3 »

Ok so go to the put in?
~Allison
Yellow Old Town Loon 120
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

I'm hoping Skip will pop on soon, so we can solidfy the plans.

Yes, I am planning to head to the put in at this point.