Charles River, Millis to Natick - RESCHEDULED to Saturday5/2

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Charles River, Millis to Natick - RESCHEDULED to Saturday5/2

Post by norm »

Would anyone be interested in a trip on the Charles River this weekend? I'm thinking of Sunday since a few people are tied up helping at the REI Demo Day in Braintree on Saturday. I also know that the "Run of the Charles" event is on Sunday but my plan is to be upstream from there where there would be no portages necessary.

The put-in would be at Forest Rd. in Millis and Take Out at the South Natick Dam for a total distance of about 13.4 miles. I also thought a stop at the Sherborn Town Forest, about halfway, might be interesting. There are trails up a hill to "King Philips Lookout" (if I can find a trail map) if people are interested.

Since this is a one-way trip, vehicle shuttle planing is needed, so I'll need to know who's planning to attend ahead of time.

Friday 4/24, decided to postpone this trip till next Saturday 5/2 since the only interested person cannot make it this weekend. I also don't have time to plan if there was last minute interest due to other plans for tomorrow.
Last edited by norm on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Hi Norm,

I can't make it this Sunday, but I'd love to go the following week on Saturday, 5/2. Sounds like a lovely outing. Should be some spring flora for viewing pleasure.

Also, this might be a good venue for recreational paddlers...have you thought about posting the trip under "Recreational?"
Barb
Chip

Post by Chip »

This is the only Trips thread and you need to sign a waiver to view it. We shouldn't post trips on the other threads. This, however, is a good candidate for Pat's new email notification if the trip coordinator agrees.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
norm

Post by norm »

Chip - I thought it might be a little too early, due to water temperatures, to regard this as a recreational paddle since people in that group are less likely to be fully prepared. I'd rather not post it as recreational. Since Barb is interested in doing it next Saturday and there have been no other responses, I may just decide to postpone it. I'll decide today.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Your call Norm. You are correct about the water conditions.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Dave0203

Post by Dave0203 »

I've always wanted to paddle the Charles, but am not available until 5/3. If you are flexible, I'll go with. If not, no problem I'll catch up some other time.

Dave
North Shore - Fuego
Linda

Post by Linda »

I've made this trip several times... but not shuttled. With high water, as this time of the year, it's about 1 1/2 hr trip if don't straight through... about 3 hrs + coming against the current... yes, I'm a 'glutten for punishment'. I am looking at this for Saturday, if that's when the trip is being made... Sunday I work and can't make it... I'll watch the board for any updates...
I also have a paddling partner who I've don't this with, that may be interested (and maybe even her Hubby) I'll give her a call and check the potential of her interest.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Linda

Post by Linda »

OK, If the trip is Saturday, I'm in and so is my friend Barbara... shuttling will make this trip very fun... not to mention the hike.
Again, I'll watch the board in case the trip is moved to another day.
norm

Post by norm »

Ok, it sounds like Saturday is the day (sorry Dave0203). Any preference for a target put-in time? Does 9:30AM sound good? We'll have to coordinate more later in the week.

I still have not found a trail map for the hike to King Philip's Lookout, but here's a link to a blog with a picture from last fall. http://charlesriverblog.blogspot.com/
I'll leave it up for a group decision about whether or not to do the hike.

Linda - you said you've done this trip in 1.5 hours? That's 9.5 miles per hour for this 13.4 mile trip. I hope you're referring to a shorter trip because I don't think even Jordan goes that fast.
Dave0203

Post by Dave0203 »

No problem. Some other time. Have fun, be safe...

Dave
North Shore - Fuego
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Norm, I'll be joining you Sat. 9 30 works for me and I am flexible if others need a different time.

Sounds like Linda will be towing us all...we can be a daisy chain

13 mi sounds like a good warm up distance

Thx for organizing. I'm a Trustees member I"ll see what I can find about the trail
Barb
norm

Post by norm »

Found the map! Turns out it was on the TTOR website. There's a link to a pdf map of the park at: http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/360_rocky_narrows.cfm Looks like there are two scenic view overlooks that will be easy to reach.

Linda - are you and Barbara using one vehicle to get there?

Barb - were you planning to take your own car again?

Sounds like it is four of us. Just starting to think of the logistics of getting the cars, boats and people to the right places....
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Norm, I am planning to drive my boat to the put in, like last time, leaving my car there.
Barb
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Norm.

Hmmm...I am thinking about joining you. Just have to figure out how to pull it off.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Post by norm »

Bea - Glad to hear you may join us.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Sorry, my mistake... Barbara B. and I put in at RT 27 not Millis that day. It was very high water and many areas along the bank were flooded so we got into places that we never were able to before. It was wild! People's back yards were even under water. Even with the sightseeing we did the trip down was just over an hour... but against the current it took us 3 1/2 hours to get back. You couldn't stop paddling at all or you were sweeped down stream. I had a CPR Recertification class at 6 pm that evening I had to miss as we didn't take out until 4:45pm. To this day, Barbara and I talk about that paddle.
Anyway, I DO think Barbara and I are coming in 1 vehicle... unless her husband decides to come then I'll need to bring my own car.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Anyone else a concerned about the weather forecast for Saturday's trip?
Honestly, I'm just getting over a cold am not interested in a rainy day paddle with the temps only in the 50's. I spoke with Barbara B. this morn and she feels the same. I don't know if a later start time would make a difference in the weather or not... sorry to be 'on the fence' about attending.
norm

Post by norm »

Linda wrote:Anyone else a concerned about the weather forecast for Saturday's trip?
Honestly, I'm just getting over a cold am not interested in a rainy day paddle with the temps only in the 50's. I spoke with Barbara B. this morn and she feels the same. I don't know if a later start time would make a difference in the weather or not... sorry to be 'on the fence' about attending.

Linda - somehow I missed this post yesterday and just noticed it now. I saw Bea last night at the Hingham paddle and we're planning to go rain or shine. I have not heard from Barb (wildwoman) today so I don't know how she feels about the weather.

I like to look at the bright side when it comes to rain...it puts more water in the rivers for us to paddle in. Last I looked there was only a 30 percent chance of rain, so there's a 70 percent chance of no rain. Also, clouds make a nice background in scenery pictures.

But seriously, if you don't want to go that's fine. Please just give me a final decision by 8:00am Saturday morning so we can adjust the shuttle plans if necessary.
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Norm, if tomorrow is anything like today on the south shore it will be gorgeous. I agree about the prob of rain and don't anticipate lightening or rapids (except at the end). I'll bring my old boots for the hike.

What time do you want to meet and where?

Bea, send me a pm with your cell phone no?
Barb
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Barb.

pm sent.

Bea
Bea
norm

Post by norm »

Well, at least 3 of us are going rain or shine. The plan has evolved to be that Bea and I will meet at a shopping mall at 8:00am on Rte. 3 in Braintree and carpool together in my truck from there. We'll go to the take-out at South Natick dam where we will meet Barb at 9:00am. We'll get Barb's boat onto my truck and head to the put-in at Forest Road in Millis and plan to hit the water at about 9:30am. We'll paddle down river and stop at the bend in the river where a trail leads up to the 2 overlooks in Sherborn Town forest, hike up and check out the view. Then we'll paddle the rest of the way to the South Natick Dam and take out at the park. Then Bea can stay with the boats and Barb can drive me back to the put-in to retrieve my truck. I think the only thing I've failed to plan out is where to get some post-paddling refreshment (PPR).

Linda - feel free to meet us at the put-in at 9:30 if you decide to come along. The shuttle plan still works if you and you friend decide to come. Somebody mentioned at Thursday night's PPR that you might know of a good PPR spot in Natick?
Linda

Post by Linda »

Can't help there, Norm... as I said, I've never done the Charles and shuttled. But I'm sure we can find something.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Very regretful about missing yesterday's paddle... Having been at work until 1:30 am the night before definitely played into my decision. If the proposed launch time was later I would have joined you... I wanted to do this soooooooo badly.
If anyone wants to do it again, please post your interest. I'd be game.
Hope someone is going to write a little narration so I can REALLY feel bad!
Just kidding... glad the weather cooperated, hope you all had a marvelous experience!
norm

Post by norm »

Linda - sorry you couldn't make it and thanks for calling at 7:00am to tell me you would not be there. We were saying all day that you would have loved it out there as the weather turned out to be perfect. I believe the rain in the morning caused Natick baseball to cancel their 8:00am games leaving plenty of parking space for us at the Grove Park at 9:20. Bea kept saying all day "not a drop of rain has fallen on us" and I was afraid she was going to jinx us. It turns out we couldn't really leave any later because we set such a relaxed pace to everything that we didn't take out till 4:37. By the time we shuttled the cars to the take-out and loaded up, there was no time for PPR or we'd be getting home after dark. According to my GPS log, our lunch stop and hike alone took almost two hours. I'd say WTP stood for "wimpy turtle paddlers" on this trip. I'm not complaining at all, I had a great time and really enjoyed the slow pace trip. I hope to do more like this throughout the season (and some faster paced trips also). We concurred that a destination with a lunchtime hike can add to the paddling adventure.

I do plan to write up a trip report, complete with pictures, but probably won't get to it today - gotta get some chores done. Maybe if I can do a complete enough job, Pat can add it to the "Paddling Spots" section in the future as another place tame enough for recreational paddles.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Thanks, Norm for the update... and not overemphasising what a GREAT DAY/TRIP IT WAS to make me feel even worse. I only got 3 1/2 hrs sleep that night which also played into the decision... the hike in the middle was a nice addition to the paddle, I'm sure. Also what interested me about the paddle besides the 'shuttle' plan.
Definitely would love to do this at some point or other paddles like it, in addition to the sea kayaking stuff.
I certainly understand about the time frame... if I had gotten myself out of work on time, it wouldn't have been an issue! Really missed out! Looking forward to the write up + pictures...
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Norm.

Thank you for organizing this trip. Great all around. With the turtle pace we were able to enjoy the peace and quite, and saw a lot of birdlife including many great blue herons, red-winged blackbirds, a few cardinals, and other birds I could not identify.

The hike up the King Phillips Lookout (I hope I got the name right) was great. After sitting in the boat for so long, it was nice to move around, and the view from the top was stunning.

Looking forward to doing this paddle in the fall (if there is enough water). This must me an amazing paddle when the colors turns.

Thanks again Norm, and thanks to Barbara for the great paddle friendship.

NorwayLady
Bea
rnflamingo

Post by rnflamingo »

Hi Norm,
The Saturday trip was never an option for me..... had plans...... but I did paddle this river on Sunday (yesterday), by myself (probably foolish but had the urge). I put in on Rte 27 in Medfield and backpaddled to that big opening (I think it's called South End Pond or something, in Millis). I did a vigorous "uphill" paddle against the current to start out, but then - like you guys - did a turtle pace coming back and just let the current take me while I enjoyed all the wild life (canadien geese, lol) and nature noises. Would definitely be up for another trip with you guys if it works out.
Joyce
kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

looking forward to reading the trip report! I think I have done a similar route and would be interested to checkout the Rocky Narrows hike as well.

sorry i mised it
~steve
norm

Post by norm »

Workin' on a long trip report including pictures, but have too many other activities weeknights this week.... :roll: