Cohasset Skills Trip - CANCELED

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

noseykate

Cohasset Skills Trip - CANCELED

Post by noseykate »

Forecast is for lovely weather on Sunday. It'd be a pity to let it slide by unpaddled. Great day to start tuning up the skills. So I suggest:

1) Cohasset wave for short boats at 11 a.m. Some of you have ww boats. Time to bring 'em out! The tide is small and will make for an easy-going wave. Great chance to get a feel for eddy turns and current in a very very safe venue. Mark and I are happy to help you learn. It can be fun!

2) We will finish up at the wave around 1 and switch to sea kayaks. We'll head out of Cohasset harbor and around the corner to Little Harbor to catch the end of the incoming tide and the current that is formed on the inflow under the bridge at LH. This is again a very safe and good place to learn eddy turns and current. We can also practice rolls/braces inside the harbor until the tide turns. Then there's the opportunity to do more eddy practice on the early outflow for as long as we want. It's also a pretty place for a picnic. Maybe we can stop by Minot Light before returning to our cars.

This second part would be suitable for those comfortable on flat ocean conditions who want to increase their skills and comfort level. You are also welcome if you just want to watch others practice, to get a feel for what you might want to try another time. Cold water gear (wetsuit/drysuit) required.

The better your skills, the safer you are. Come join us for this skills trip and be ready for the coming season!

NK
Last edited by noseykate on Sat May 15, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lora925

Re: Cohasset Skills Trip

Post by lora925 »

Darn, I am very sorry I will have to miss this, tis just the thing I've been wishing for! I've a gig on Sunday that will prevent me from attending, but hopefully there will be a lot of interest so it will come up again in the not so distant future :)
norm

Post by norm »

I might try to stop by if I have any energy on Sunday. I have a very long day of volunteer work on Saturday and then a party on Saturday night - that's why I have not proposed any trips for this weekend. I hope I can swing by for one or the other. If not, have fun.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Part 2 sounds like a lot of fun and something I want to get better at. Unfortunately, I have other plans too. I am looking forward to pouring myself into my farmer john........not.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
norm

Post by norm »

Chip wrote:I am looking forward to pouring myself into my farmer john........not.

Pouring??? Don't you mean squeeezing??? :D
Rubberduckie

Post by Rubberduckie »

Hi Kate,

Phil and I may join you on Sunday. I'm doing the all-day Greenland session on Saturday with Cheri, so as long as I'm not totally toast the next day (which is a possibility) we'd love to come. Stay tuned...

Lorrie
Cetus LV Lime/White/Yellow Trim
Necky Jive Red/Blue
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

I'd love to be there, but have other plans for Sunday. Maybe Sunday of next week we could get something going?
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Johnysmoke wrote:I'd love to be there, but have other plans for Sunday. Maybe Sunday of next week we could get something going?

Or any other week you care to name, John.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

This trip canceled - no one responded as a definite yes, and we paddled there today. Lora joined us today and she was ferrying back and forth through waves and current like she'd been born to it. How much more fun to have a whole flock of Turkeys in there bouncing around in the wave train!

So we'll do it another time.

NK
lora925

Re: Cohasset Skills Trip - CANCELED

Post by lora925 »

Thanks again Kate and Mark, I had a blast :) :) :)
Beanboy

Re: Cohasset Skills Trip - CANCELED

Post by Beanboy »

Definitely will be watching for more wave visits...
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169