Martha's Vineyard and/or Play in Woods Hole - Saturday 8-14

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Mark

Martha's Vineyard and/or Play in Woods Hole - Saturday 8-14

Post by Mark »

Kate and I would like to gauge interest in either a paddle to Martha's Vineyard and/or a play day in the Wood's Hole currents for this coming Saturday, August 14th.

The tides are right for a fast ride out of Woods Hole and over to MV on the flood current leaving around 10:30 -11:00. We would plan to cross back near the brief period of slack tide somewhere between 3-4PM.

If weather is unfavorable or interest is otherwise directed, we could alternately do a play day in the Woods Hole currents. This might involve a slightly later start and a later finish, as the best currents in Woods Hole at our favorite play spot would be around 4-5PM.

This will not be a Show and Go. We would need to keep the group small, and would also need to know your paddling abilities, as either of these events is sort of on the advanced-intermediate end of things, and involves rough water and strong currents.

So let's hear if there is interest, and we will plan a specific itinerary later in the week. Depending on the experience level of the group, we could open it up to a few more people, so by all means very experienced paddlers are certainly welcome.
Johnysmoke

Re: Martha's Vineyard and/or Play in Woods Hole - Saturday 8-14

Post by Johnysmoke »

If it's a play session going on there's a chance I could get out for a little bit...
Linda

Post by Linda »

I would DEFINITELY be interested in the 'paddle' plan... I have never done this before but believe I am a 'solid' paddler and have the ability. I know the area can get nasty- and for my 1st time would be looking at wind speed etc as the final determinate to attend.
I'd like to 'play in the currents' but that plan will be too late in the day for me to commit to (for a starting time).
I'll watch the board for the FINAL PLAN!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
lora925

Post by lora925 »

I'm interested either way (HUGE GRINS). Sure glad this week's Fife brook run is tentatively planned for Sunday this week ;)

p.s. I'll be sure to test my combat roll in my long boat this week. It's been very reliable in my short boat since we last paddled together at the Wave (other than one fail while still in the blender at the lower section of the gap last Saturday that is :roll: I needed a swim by then anyway though :mrgreen: ).
Mark

Post by Mark »

HI Linda - One reason for posting this for this coming weekend (other than the tides being right) is that it looks like it is likely to be quite calm in the wind and wave department. (Of course, the forecast is long-range, and subject to change.) If it pans out that way, this is probably a Level 3 or 3+ trip = well within your skill level.

Lora - A combat roll is pretty handy for playing in Woods Hole, but not a must have for the Vineyard paddle.

Thanks for posting.

Let's see how things develop, paddler-interest-wise and weather-wise.

Mark

P.S. - I'm hoping Kate will be ready for the debut of "Dora" for this trip. :wink:
Mark

Post by Mark »

This trip is on for a paddle to MV tomorrow. Right now there are four of us going. If anyone else is interested, email me today at jmarkstephens at gmail dot com. I will not be checking this board until tonight.

Thanks,

Mark
Linda

Post by Linda »

WHOO HOO!
See ya all in the AM
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Jack Z

Post by Jack Z »

Fortunately - just ran into Lora at gas station and she mentioned the MV trip. I'd like to join if still availability. I'll watch later for details...

Thanks,
Jack Z.