Marion Harbor + Bird Island - 8/20/11 - 9:00am

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Marion Harbor + Bird Island - 8/20/11 - 9:00am

Post by norm »

I'd like to go somewhere on the South Coast this weekend where high tides are mid-day. I have not been to Marion Harbor before...just going on information in a book. Don't have time to research via old trip reports this morning...just wanted to see if anyone else is interested. Rough plan is to meet at the Marion Town Landing at 9:00am and launch at 9:30. (Not sure how crowded it gets there on a Saturday.) Paddle out to Bird Island before the winds pick up, then maybe to Aucoot Cove before returning to Marion Harbor to check out Planting Island Cove and the inner harbor areas. Distance somewhere in the range of 10-15 miles depending on how quick the wind picks up - would just stay in harbor if too choppy in Buzzards Bay.

Will probably be out there for 5 to 6 hours including a stop for lunch.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat.
Ability to paddle over 10 miles

Please reply if you plan to attend and include whether you know the area or not. Also, maybe a few of us could carpool.

I'll try to add more info, like a Google Map to the parking lot, later in the day if I have time.

Sorry for such a late posting...
Aquaholic

Re: Marion Harbor + Bird Island - 8/20/11 - 9:00am

Post by Aquaholic »

This is an area I'm interested in exploring so I'd like to join you. Haven't been there before so I can't help out with any info.
"Sea Kayaking coastal Massachusetts: from the North Shore to Buzzards Bay" has a chapter on Marion Harbor and Bird Island, though. Do you have that book? If not, I can try to get my hands on a copy this afternoon.

Audrey
norm

Post by norm »

Audrey,
Yes, I have that book. Just too busy to do much research during work today...still trying to get all of our computers working correctly again after a 5 minute power outage crashed everything yesterday.
Norm
Haven

Post by Haven »

Hi Norm:
I know the area somewhat and am hopeful I can join you. Bird Island is really pretty, but a pain to paddle to when the wind gets up which is almost always. I will try to be at the Town Landing at 9:00.
Haven
Haven

Post by Haven »

There are two places for launching, the Town Dock, 41 42.285 N and 70 45.670 W, and a beach further down the road, 41 41.625 N and 70 45.396 W. Which are you planning
to use?
Haven
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Norm, I think you win the price for posting the most trips this year. Sounds like a beautiful place to paddle.

Sorry to miss it. Take lots of pictures!!

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Post by norm »

Haven wrote:There are two places for launching, the Town Dock, 41 42.285 N and 70 45.670 W, and a beach further down the road, 41 41.625 N and 70 45.396 W. Which are you planning
to use?
Haven

Haven,

Thanks for pointing that out. I was looking at the beach, thinking it was the town landing, but now I see the two clearly. I think the beach looks like an easier spot to launch from, looking at it from Google Earth, more space to set up without being hurried off a boat ramp.

So, the beach lot it is, unless you know of some reason why we should use the town dock?

For the others using a car GPS, the address that should work for the beach is "1 Front St., Marion"

Thanks,
Norm
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

Hi Norm,

Sounds nice and its over my way, but I can't make it.
Have a great time. Take lots of pics.

Tracey
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
Linda

Post by Linda »

I've launched in Wareham and made the trip before unaware of a launch WITH PARKING THAT YOU DIDN'T NEED A TOWN STICKER. Are the 2 launch sites above are "FREE" - no charge to park + legitimate places for out of towners to park? That would be helpful to me for paddles in the future.
That is a lovely paddle... have a FUN/SAFE day out there.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
norm

Post by norm »

Linda wrote:I've launched in Wareham and made the trip before unaware of a launch WITH PARKING THAT YOU DIDN'T NEED A TOWN STICKER. Are the 2 launch sites above are "FREE" - no charge to park + legitimate places for out of towners to park? That would be helpful to me for paddles in the future.

We'll find out today. The book said the town dock was free. It had the beach as an alternate launch site. I hope it's free too.
norm

Post by norm »

norm wrote:
Linda wrote:I've launched in Wareham and made the trip before unaware of a launch WITH PARKING THAT YOU DIDN'T NEED A TOWN STICKER. Are the 2 launch sites above are "FREE" - no charge to park + legitimate places for out of towners to park? That would be helpful to me for paddles in the future.

We'll find out today. The book said the town dock was free. It had the beach as an alternate launch site. I hope it's free too.

Well, the real answer is that both spots are supposed to be for town residents only according to the town web site. (Glad I didn't look earlier.) There were no "resident only" signs at the Silver Shell Beach lot, but they post a "stop" sign at the entrance and have a guard turn away non-residents. We arrived before the guard did and had already unloaded our boats. We went over and spoke with him and he told us the rules but let us slide. Audrey and I were worried about getting a ticket, but he said they don't do that - if he lets you in, you're all set.

Gif parked at the town dock and he didn't see any signs there either. He said there were plenty of spaces, even when we were leaving.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Thanks for the info... Hope you all had a lovely paddling day!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!