Hull to Graves Lighthouse and Georges Is. 8/25/12 8:00am

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Hull to Graves Lighthouse and Georges Is. 8/25/12 8:00am

Post by norm »

Looks like a nice weekend for an outer Boston Harbor excursion to the Graves Lighthouse. Low tide is at about noon, so we can ride the tide out and then back in. Planning to meet at 8:00am and launch by about 8:30. Hoping to get across the channel before traffic picks up in the morning. Will stop at Georges Island on the way back and probably Green Island if we need a break on the way to Georges from the Graves.

The launch spot is the easternmost end of the Hull Municipal Parking lot across from Hull High School. Here is a Google map link to the spot at the end of the municipal lot. See the spot with the green arrow. It is the far end of the lot because if you follow the lot's do no enter signs, you have to drive past the whole lot to the entrance at the commuter boat end and come back to the end where you can walk around the sea wall onto a beach where a few people store row boats. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.304503 ... 1&t=h&z=18

I think an address that will work in a GPS is: 130 Main Street, Hull, MA

This will be an all day trip with possibly challenging conditions if the wind picks up. There will be multiple crossings of busy channels. The minimum distance is about 14 miles. We will need to keep a good pace of about 3 miles per hour. The first leg out to the Graves is 7 miles and then the first chance for a stop is Green Island at 9 miles. Plan to be in your boat for a solid 3 hours for the first leg, so pack snacks and water where you can reach them. (We can stop on the way out if needed, but I was thinking it would be better to get out and back earlier rather than later.)

We can take our time on Georges Island, check out the excellent visitors center and tour Fort Warren.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat with front and rear bulkheads and spray skirt.
Ability to paddle 14 - 16 miles at a minimum 3mph pace.
Bring a lunch, snacks and lots of water and sunscreen.

I know that Abby, Steve and Ken R. are planning to attend. Anyone else, please respond if you plan to attend.

Norm
Dalerks

Re: Hull to Graves Lighthouse and Georges Is. 8/25/12 8:00

Post by Dalerks »

I might attend not sure yet
Joseph
Cetus LV
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

What a GREAT trip! Pictures and more to come soon.
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Yes, it was a great day out there even though it started off with a few hours of dense fog.

I knew it didn't look right when we crossed the Narrows channel and could see a P-Town catamaran ferry stopped over by Gallops Island. I think the captain must have missed the turn into the Narrows. The news says they ran aground on Nixes Mate, but my picture taken from Georges Island looks like the boat is on Gallops where we landed on a trip a few weeks ago. It's a little hard to make out, but right in the center is the ferry with a little tug boat beside it. There's a tanker coming out of Boston in the background. It was interesting to hear the news about the grounding when I got home.
Attachments
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG (90.18 KiB) Viewed 16957 times
Azane

Post by Azane »

What a wonderful trip!
I discovered all kinds of new islands in the bay yesterday and today I am busy discovering all kinds of new muscles and aching joints. Steve and I are both so glad we went! Really!

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures that Norm and Joe took!
Thanks again
Abby
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
norm

Post by norm »

Abby,

I don't know when I'll get a full trip report done. I've got 375 pictures from 2 cameras. I picked out 2 of you and Steve at the 2 different lighthouses so you can prove to your friends that you made it out there. Don't have time to do any more right now as I have to get going to my sisters cookout.

These pictures have their resolution reduced to save space and display better from the internet. If you'd like the full resolution of any picture, send me a PM with your email address and I can send you a better copy.

Here are 2 shots - you and Steve at Boston Light and then you and Steve looking at the seal at Graves Light.

IMGP7435.JPG
IMGP7435.JPG (46.44 KiB) Viewed 16950 times

IMGP7557.JPG
IMGP7557.JPG (55.05 KiB) Viewed 16950 times

Norm
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Nice pictures!! You had a great day out there!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Azane

Post by Azane »

By GOSH those are gorgeous photos!!

you have a hell of an eye, Norm.
Of course I'll want to flash those around. That Graves photo is surreal. Hard to believe thats us
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

Joseph
Cetus LV
Azane

Post by Azane »

Thats an interesting GPS record Joe put up.
I assume its the actual reading because it shows how we drift when stopped on open water.
Is that right?
Is that why its jagged like that going out to The Graves and waiting to cross back and forth from Hull?

Okay time to look silly... What are all the light colored squares?
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
norm

Post by norm »

Azane wrote:Thats an interesting GPS record Joe put up.
I assume its the actual reading because it shows how we drift when stopped on open water.
Is that right?
Is that why its jagged like that going out to The Graves and waiting to cross back and forth from Hull?

Okay time to look silly... What are all the light colored squares?

Abby - the light colored squares are pictures that are available within Google Earth. It can be turned on and off along with various levels of labels and other options. The jagged spots may be spots where Joe's phone lost the GPS signal for a little while. I have a track from my GPS also and it doesn't have those sharp points.

Here is what mine looks like. I shut off all the options. Each blue dot is a point stored by my GPS during the day.

Google Earth is a fun thing to play with. I found that you can even do a flyover view of your GPS track like they sometimes do on the TV newscasts.

2012_0825_Kayak_Boston_Light_Graves_Green_Georges.JPG
2012_0825_Kayak_Boston_Light_Graves_Green_Georges.JPG (63.78 KiB) Viewed 16890 times

Norm
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

That is real odd because I recognize at least three of those saw tooth spikes as exactly where we did stop for boat traffic and to regroup. There is one mid-way to Little Brewster where we waited for boats prior to crossing the channel, one where we waited for the lobster boat after we cleared Outer Brewster and one right where we paused prior to crossing the Hull Gut channel.
KR