Sat, 6/15-Padanaram into Clarks Cove and Beyond

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Linda

Sat, 6/15-Padanaram into Clarks Cove and Beyond

Post by Linda »

I'm planning to LAUNCH out of Knowles Beach, Padanaram, Saturday, 6/15 at 10 am (arrive earlier to prepare for timely launch time of 10 am) for an exploration east into + around Clark's Cove (past Jones Park, Hazelwood Park and Ft Rodman), around the tip where the water treatment plant is into Fairhaven/Ft Phoenix Beach State Reservation. Expected distance or 14-16+ miles depending on exact route back. Weather- Sunny, 75-77 degrees with winds up to 13 mph (as of today). High Tide is 1:30 pm at Padanaram, Low- 6:36 am + 7 pm. I have never done this route, so it will be somewhat of an exploration. Paddler's planning to attend should be comfortable with the distance + most up to date conditions.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Kayak Krazy
antispam: No

Re: Sat, 6/15-Padanaram into Clarks Cove and Beyond

Post by Kayak Krazy »

Hi Linda,

It looks like nice paddling weather tomorrow, so I would love to meet up and join you on your exploration trip! :D
Can you PM me with some details, aka an address for my GPS, and your cell number? I am traveling about 1 hour 15, but I should arrive early if I know where I am going.

Thanks!
Mary
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

Hi Linda,

I, too, would like to join you. Can you please post directions, address, gps location, etc. for Knowles Beach?

Thanks,
Bob
Haven

Post by Haven »

Hi Linda:
Haven

Post by Haven »

Hi Linda:
Sorry I cannot join you but the launch lat-lons are N 41 35.694 and W 070 54.085. The lunch area at the Fort Taber Boardwalk and Beach is N 41 34.915 and W 070 57.004. Have a great day.

Haven
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

There are two different destinations in the last post. Linda, can you please clearly let us know where we will be meeting.

Thanks,
Bob
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

I believe Linda wants to Launch at Smith Neck Road, which is N 41 34.915 and W 070 57.004. Google Earth shows this as Knowles Beach.

Linda, please confirm.
Kayak Krazy

Post by Kayak Krazy »

Linda, please confirm before 8:00 am Saturday. If it is Smith Neck Road, Knowles Beach, that is fine with me. If something else, please give me a street address since lat-lon doesn't work for me.

If I don't hear before 8:00 am, I probably won't make the drive. I don't want to miss connecting.

I am also sending you a PM with my cell number in case you want to contact me that way.
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

Mary,

I am definitely going to Smith Neck Road, Knowles Beach tomorrow. If you look on google earth, Knowles Beach is on Smith Neck road, and Linda's message clearly said Knowles Beach. I have launched there before, it is a very nice spot. I have charted the paddle out that Linda wants to do and it looks very good. I have done a similar paddle heading west from that spot.

I drive a grey honda CRV, and have a wooden kayak. I am planning on being there around 9:30, to launch at 10 as Linda indicated.

I will PM you my cell number. See you tomorrow.
Bob
Linda

Post by Linda »

Launch is off Smith Neck Rd, Dartmouth, MA for those with GPS help... I can not verify the coordinates left by Haven... PLEASE plug in Smith Neck Rd (off Gulf Rd)- should work well. The actual launch is the small beach ((Knowles Beach- can locate that on GPS also), Bridge St over the draw bridge east to west, becomes Gulf Rd- Take 1st LEFT- Smith Neck Rd- beach on left
These directions are from the North:
8. Slight right to merge onto MA-24 S toward Fall River 18.4 mi
9. Take exit 12 to merge onto MA-140 S/County St toward New Bedford Continue to follow MA-140 S 19.4 mi
10. Continue onto Brownell Ave 0.9 mi
11. Turn left onto Allen St 0.3 mi
12. Turn right onto Rockdale Ave 0.8 mi
13. Turn right onto Dartmouth St 1.7 mi
14. Slight left onto Middle St 0.2 mi
15. Take the 2nd right onto Bridge St 0.2 mi
16. Continue onto Gulf Rd 0.4 mi
17. Turn left onto Smith Neck Rd Destination will be on the left 0.1 mi
Smith Neck Rd
Kayak Krazy

Post by Kayak Krazy »

OK, see you there.
Linda

Post by Linda »

This was a WONDERFUL paddle with an even MORE Wonderful group! Thank You for joining me on our 17.5 mile adventure! It was a Whopping Success :)
Kayak Krazy

Post by Kayak Krazy »

Linda,

Thanks again for such a great trip!! Your patience and enthusiasm were inspiring! And the whole group was fantastic overall.

To all the Turkeys out there who have encouraged me over the last year (you know who you are!), I was SOOOO glad you talked me into upgrading to the 16.5 foot boat. As the wind kicked up in Buzzards Bay, I felt relieved to see that big orange bow plowing through the surf!! :D

After a hot shower and a cold beer, I was able to really enjoy the sense of accomplishment.

Looking forward to more trips!!

Mary