New Skills To Try

norm

New Skills To Try

Post by norm »

For those of us working on skills every other Thusrsday and looking for new things to try and master, here are a couple videos on things that we should try while the water is still warm. Re-enter and roll, Scoop Rescue and Hand of God rescue. I don't think the Hand of God rescue is realistic except maybe if you're standing by while somebody is practicing. I don't believe you'd be close enough during a trip to really get to somebody before they run out of air. I think the Scoop Rescue would be great to try in case we ever have a paddler pass out for some reason or get sick or injured. We might also try practicing towing a pair of rafted kayaks which is a realistic scenario if a paddler is incapacitated in some way and needs to be stabilized while being towed to shore. Maybe we should try an "all in" drill some time too, to see who can get back upright first in whatever method they know how to use. Just some thoughts on a rainy Thursday night...

Re-enter and roll with and without a paddle float by Gordon Brown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_kvMCmoZw0

Master the Sea Kayak Scoop Rescue for Injured Paddlers | Adventure Kayak | Rapid Media
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE5y_DW2h04

VIRTUAL COACH: Hand of God Rescue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCj2LnT8eik
Joy

Re: New Skills To Try

Post by Joy »

Norm thats a good idea. Im for practicing scoop rescue and re-enter and roll. the more we know the safer we will be on the water.
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

“All-in” sounds fun, I would be up for that.

I tried the “re-entry and roll” last week. Looks easy in video. My problem was I did not have shoes on, and my feet got totally beat up as I tried to get them into the cockpit and slide them down past the foot pegs before initiating the roll. I’ll try again when I have good water shoes that cover my ankles. Lisa says it’s an easy way to self-rescue.

Bea - NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
AnnaB
antispam: No

Post by AnnaB »

Sounds good to me. Would be interested in trying re-entry roll with paddle float. I am game to play although will bring my wetsuit this time—got chilly. This Thursday sept 3rd right? Long pond Plymouth?

Anna
Joy

Post by Joy »

Yes Anna, Sept 3rd. Dont know if I'll be there. The camping trip I was going on may be postponed. Time will tell. See you all Tuesday thou on Waquit Bay.
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red
OhLordy
antispam: No

Post by OhLordy »

Hope you can make it Joy . . . Looking forward to it!

Lisa
Lime Green Impex Cat 3
Gray Valley Avocet